Monday, October 17, 2005

Blog Number 35 - My introduction to Frank Miller's '300' comics

I'll never forget the first time I came across Frank Miller's comic book series, '300'. In the late 90's, while surfing the internet to see what information was available about the movie, 'The 300 Spartans', I came across the TFAW.com website which was selling the 5-part series. I had read quite a few books about King Leonidas and the Battle of Thermopylae, therefore, I had to see how it was depicted in comic book form. When I received the comics several days later, I couldn't wait to see if this was an historically accurate re-enactment of the battle. Even though it wasn't, I really enjoyed Frank Miller's version and especially the illustrations by Lynne Varley. I guess the irony is that I never purchased a comic book when I was younger and here I was in my 30's buying my first ones. I guess better late than never!

I'm curious, how old were you when you bought or read them?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

G'day cat~

Thank you very much for the compliment; it is appreciated!!!

Cheers,

John

Anonymous said...

Hi John, I have a couple of questions about the graphic novel which I have. When Leonidas visits the Oracle in the Miller novel, nothing is said that a king must die. Is it in the historical accounts for this battle?

Also, I have not read anything about the actors who have been chosen to play Xerxes and Ephialtes. Do you know who they will be? Thanks for all the great info! I'll be coming here often.

Unknown said...

Greetings dragon slayer~

It is in the historical accounts of the battle and it has been said that King Leonidas in the utter act of devotion to his country, fought and died in fulfillment of the Delphic oracle.

Xerxes will be played by Rodrigo Santoro, however, it hasn't been disclosed yet as to who will be playing Ephialtes.

Cheers,

John