Thursday, September 15, 2005

Blog Number 3 - Zack Snyder '300' movie & the 'Dawn of the Dead'

Zack Snyder will be at the helm for Frank Miller's '300' and since I was unfamiliar with his work, I had had to check out what other movies he's directed. I learned that he had directed the 2004 remake of the cult classic 'Dawn of the Dead' which I hadn't seen and according to the reviews, had more than its fair share of gore and violence.

There will always be the inevitable comparisons made between an original and the remake(s) that follow(s), and of course, 'Dawn of the Dead' is no exception. According to the majority of the critics and viewers, it seems as if Zack Snyder did a pretty credible job which bodes well for those who are fans of the '300' comics. I believe that with Snyder directing, his adaptation of Miller & Varley's '300' will be brought to the big screen with the same amount of graphic detail as the comics.

If you've seen 'Dawn of the Dead', do you think '300' will be a R-rated movie for the depiction of the battle?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

John, I recently rented Dawn of the Dead, as Zack Snyder will be directing 300, to see if there are any similarities.It was very graphic with lots of violence and gore. I didn't particularly care for it, but then I don't like horror movies and especially the language in this. Since it was his directorial debut I hope he does justice to 300. I would like to see it done as the graphic novel with the illustrations intact, I hope not too many changes will be made. I still have a hard time visualizing it, I don't think Snyder has had experience filming with CGI. I'm sure 300 will be rated R.

Unknown said...

Hi Dragon Slayer~

I had read that Zack Snyder used CGI for 'Dawn of the Dead' and agree with you that '300' will receive a R rating. If it doesn't I will be extremely surprised because I believe that there will be plenty of gore, especially if it follows Frank Miller's version of the Battle of Thermopylae.

Cheers,

John